Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Shiro Wat




This is the first of my ethiopian recipes that i will post. All the ethiopian recipes were based from a variety of sources but needed some adjustments based upon what i had in the cupboard and my taste. I buy my Niter Kibbeh from Mama Rosina Ethiopian Bakery (253A Barkly Street in Footscray) in Melbourne. The berbere powder recipe used came from here which also happens to be my favourite restaurant. I will include the recipe used in the next post.

Shiro Wat


• 1/2 cup of besan (toasted for 5-10mins to change colour of flour and reduce rawness)
• 1 onion and clove of garlic pureed with water
• ½ cup of spiced ghee (Niter Kibbeh)
• 2 teaspoons of berebere
• 2 cups or more of water (to desired consistency)
• Salt

Cook onion and garlic puree on high heat until water reduces and puree colours. Add ghee and cook further couple of minutes. Add chickpea and make roux. Add water slowly stirring to prevent lumps. Add salt and cook for 10-15 mins or so. Serve with injeera.

This was really good but was fairly lumpy. upon reflection i would suggest blending the mixture if this is a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment